Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Stigmata of St. Padre Pio

Since so many people are intrigued by St. Padre Pio's stigmata, I think that is what I'll talk with you about today. Actually, the best way to explain to you about Padre Pio's stigmata—the five bleeding wounds of Christ Crucified, which God placed in Padre Pio's hands, feet, and side, and which bled for fifty long years—would be to let St. Pio do the explaining. Here are the words he used in his Letter to his Superior:

"On the morning of September 20, 1918," wrote Padre Pio, in obedience to his Superior, "in the choir [of the church in San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy, at his monastery], after I had celebrated Mass, I yielded to a drowsiness similar to a sweet sleep.

"All the internal and external senses and even the very faculties of my soul were immersed in indescribable stillness. Absolute silence surrounded and invaded me. I was suddenly filled with great peace and abandonment which effaced everything else and caused a lull in the turmoil. All this happened in a flash.

"While this was taking place I saw before me a mysterious celestial person [whom Padre Pio later admitted was Christ Crucified Himself], similar to the one I had seen on the evening of the 5th of august. The only difference was that his hands and feet and side were dripping blood.

"This sight terrified me and what I felt at that moment is indescribable. I thought I should die and really should have died if the Lord had not intervened and strengthened my heart which was about to burst out of my chest.

"The vision disappeared and I became aware that my hands, feet, and side were dripping blood and pained me a great deal. I lacked the strength to rise. So I managed to crawl from the choir to my cell, down the whole length of the long corridor. The Fathers were all of them out of the monastery at the time. I lay on my bed and prayed that I might see Our Lord again, but then I pulled myself together and examined my wounds. Weeping with joy and thanksgiving, I prayed." [St. Padre Pio's Letters.]

Next week, my dear friend, I will continue with true events that followed St. Padre Pio's reception from God of the stigmata. Just know, in the meantime, that any problems you have can be taken to St. Padre Pio and he will do what he can for you. He is a powerful intercessor in Heaven now with Jesus, Our Lord and God. Go ahead now and ask your Holy Guardian Angel to take your prayer requests to Padre Pio.

"All things work together for the good for those who love God." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers