Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Those Who Knew St. Padre Pio

From my dear friend Dorothy Gaudiose who worked for St. Padre Pio for three years in Italy, I "inherited" hundreds of books, now out of print, about Padre Pio. (From those books I’ve been able to write many of my own books about Padre Pio—by God’s grace working through Padre Pio’s intercession—and get them published by Our Sunday Visitor, The Word Among Us Press, and Pauline Books & Media. Of course I’ve had the faithful help of my Holy Guardian Angel and Our Lady, too. You can find more about my books and publishers online at my Facebook page, blog, and website.) I'm always thrilled to find personal accounts of people who actually knew St. Padre Pio. Right now I have with me a little book by Lina Pancaro, titled "Padre Pio As I Knew Him." Let me share a few tidbits from her book with you today.

One day Lina and her friend were on their way up the mountain in Southern Italy toward Padre Pio's church, Santa Maria delle Grazie. "We passed the Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza (Home for the Relief of Suffering)," wrote Lina, "a grandioso edifice erected stone upon stone. [The hospital was a result totally of St. Padre Pio's brave idea and promotional work on its behalf.] I should stress," continued Lina, "that all building material was brought to the abandoned mountain by mules on the then-dirt road, miles and miles from Foggia [the nearest town]. The sight of this beautiful hospital was truly like a mirage in the desert: the miracle of a poor, humble monk, the Stigmatist, Padre Pio. One really wonders how so much material could have been brought up, tons and tons of it, all by man and beast. This, too, I thought to myself, was a miracle.

"The tiny Church was already half filled with people, the early comers, and Padre Pio was hearing confessions. The altar of Saint Francis of Assisi had been tastefully decorated with flowers, beautiful ones sent from faraway places by the many devotees of Padre Pio. The church was ablaze with candles—and made all present so happy. The noon hour soon approached and we were told to quickly get into the little corridor, where Padre Pio would come to the door and recite with us the Angelus. The door opened. I was so confused to see him standing there with the brown wool mittens over his hands [the gloves were fingertipless], to cover the Stigmata he bore. [He bore the Stigmata, the five ever-bleeding wounds of Christ Crucified, for fifty years!] We pushed toward him," said Lina, "so that we could be nearer to him and ask for his prayers and blessings. He smiled and blessed us all. The few who were in the front row reached for his hand to kiss it. Others were invoking him for prayers in their illness. Many were visibly moved and weeping. He was so happy today. Here, truly, was a man of God. A man God had sent to us bearing the wounds of Christ Jesus."

Today, my dear friend in Christ, you, too, can ask St. Padre Pio for his prayers and blessing. He is now in heaven, but ever-closer to Jesus, the Great Physician. Now St. Padre Pio can ask Our Lord for what it is that you need. Simply take your requests to Padre Pio. He'll do what he can for you. Be sure to wait with great expectation for something good to happen. And if you should happen to smell a sweet aroma that seems to have no natural source, you can be sure that it is a sign that St. Padre Pio has heard your prayer.

Have a great day! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers