Friday, October 28, 2011

I Need to Forgive Someone

Today I thought I'd share an experience with you which I had this week. Someone in our family, whom I thought for sure I had forgiven, came to my mind. Suddenly I recalled so many of the rotten things she had done and said to me over a period of about thirty years. So I'm telling you this now as sort of a personal confession and also to share with you what Saint Padre Pio, the famous stigmatist-priest, said about forgiveness. One day a young woman came to him and told him how badly she'd been treated by her husband's relatives. "So, you hate them?" asked the Padre, peering at her with his dark penetrating Italian eyes. "Yes, Padre Pio." He didn't try to tell her that she had no reason to hate them. He told her this, instead, "You have good reason to be so angry with them because you are in the right. But for the love of God, you must forgive."
Now why did he say that? Because when I don't forgive--when I don't forgive the relative who hurt me for so many years--I'm really hurting myself. Do I want to do that? No. Neither do I want to hurt the other person, even though she hurt me so many times. For all I know, she was abused as a child or has a brain tumor or is a terribly unhappy person and simply can't treat me any better than she does. God knows her heart and He loves her just the same and wants me to forgive. Here is the remedy St. Padre Pio gave to the young woman, and I think I'll use that remedy too. What about you? Here it is:
"Think often of Jesus nailed to the Cross for our faults and sins when you find it difficult to forgive someone," advised St. Padre Pio.
Jesus on the Cross. For my sins. For yours. He has forgiven us everything. So I forgive that woman in my life too. Amen. "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me," says Saint Paul in Scripture, and that's the truth. You and I can forgive those who hurt us if we only ask Jesus to give us the strength and the love and the compassion to do so. Amen. So be it!
Before I forget, my brother shared with me last week the scripture verses that meant so much to him when he was in military combat, so I thought I'd share a couple of them with you too. Aren't we all in combat every day with the world and the devil and the flesh? But God will prevail in our lives. Amen.
Here are a couple of the verses my brother shared with me:
(1. "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, Rejoice!"
(2. "Let all men know and perceive and recognize your unselfishness. The Lord is near.”
(3. "Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God."

I love you, my friend.
Talk to you next week. Don't worry; Jesus will never desert you.
Eileen Dunn Bertanzetti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers